Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Borough Market

A few weekends back a couple of friends from Sydney were in town. Unfortunately for them, the weather that weekend was the worst we've had since being here. At least the can say they've experienced the infamous dreary London weather now : ) Now, where would I take visitors from out of town? To one of my favourite markets of course! (And yes JS, it involves food!)

"Borough Market is London's oldest food market. It was established on the south bank of the Thames when the Romans build the first London Bridge. It has occupied its present site for 250 years" - from their website.

Borough Market boasts of fresh fruit & veg, meat & seafood, gourmet foods & baked goodies. 


So many types of mushrooms!


Scottish Monk Fish - nasty lookin' fella


Lobsters with pincers


So many varieties of cheese, and this was but one stall selling it


Pickled garlic, marinated olives, basil pesto, hommus, yummm


Fagot -  sounds a bit rude doesn't it!


Too-cute-to-eat cookies?


I had a particularly fun time at the German Sausages stall. There was a great big hearty German guy that just kept feeding us different sausages to try, though I did not get a photo of him. I bit into one and oily orange sausage juice dripped onto my jacket! The dear man quickly fetched me a bottle of water and some napkins to clean myself up!


We couldn't have possibly walked away without purchasing a skewer after his fine hospitality. But they were so tasty we would have regardless.

I have more photos of Borough Markets on my Flickr, click here to view.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome foodie pics Gucci!

I'd be really tempted to put my fist in the mouth of that Scottish monkfish just floating there... did you??!

Those gingebread men and owls were adorable too - you wouldn't be able to resist eating them though, how did they taste?

anna said...

Hey Beez! Despite the lack of people standing in that photo, the seafood shop was quite busy. I think I zoomed in to get that shot (hence the grainy-ness)
We'll give it a go though when you come over!

I have yet to taste those cookies would you believe?? I've tried the chocolate brownie and creme caramels from these markets and will definitely be back for a gingerbread man at some stage. There's also a range of pastries I can't wait to sink my teeth into.....