Thursday, August 20, 2009

Canal Lock in Action

There is a canal that runs quite close to our place and we love taking walks there. On this particular trip we caught one of the locks in action.


Boats sitting in the lock while the water is still raised


What I missed recording were the long boats entering the lock and the top gate being closed at the start. Then in the video clip you can see the lower gate being slightly opened > the boats sinking in the lock as the water drains > the water level in the lock reaching the same level as the water in the lower part of the canal > lower gates being fully opened > boats sailing off into the sunset.. well, not quite..

Kudos to the genius who invented the first lock over 2000 years ago!

3 comments:

Dean said...

Wow time really rips over there. I was wondering how old that lock might be. Are they private long boats ? I guess the don't wear horny helmets on those long boats.

anna said...

Oh time does fly! Next time I go past there I'll see if there are any information plaques. Though I'm guessing its nowhere near the 2k years mark. I think you can hire those long boats as there's a fair few moored further upstream. No, not that I've seen, but I can imagine you going downstream on a long boat in one of those hats, will keep my eye out!!

Dean said...

I see. Thankyou. You have a great imagination.